Thursday, January 12, 2012

Defining moments

There are moments, as a mother, that I find define me. It's not when I'm at my wits end trying to calm a screaming baby, or when I'm ready to pull my hair out after the millionth load of laundry. It's the giggles and the smiles. It's the look my daughter gives me when I pick her up first thing in the morning. It's when she stops to nuzzle my shoulder mid play session, just to say "Mommy, I love you." It's those moments that define me the most. I realize I would give up anything to protect this little girl who has placed all of her trust in me. In those moments, little else matters. She is my world and I am hers.

Today she turned 6 months. It's strange to think back that a year and one month ago today I found out I was pregnant. My entire world changed. Everything stopped being about me. It was about her. I remember sitting in the bath tub talking to her, pressing my hands to my stomach, anticipating the first fleeting kicks I knew would come in the next few months. For the first time, in a very long time, I felt something akin to hope. I had this tiny human forming inside of me, and while she was forming I was transforming. I couldn't imagine my life without her anymore. This was it. This was my life now.

This is my life now.

My wonderful, stressful, tumultuous, and lovely life. This little girl. Nothing else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment